23.7.10

brick lane by Kim Galanto

I visited Brick Lane on two different occasions, one of which was highlighted by Alex's pepper experience, which his post tells all, the other was our second Sunday there which I spent with Kristine, Naveen and Aaron.

A few days prior I was in a bookstore looking through the usual art, design and fashion books. I picked up a book that had hundreds of photographs of trendsetters in major cities. What I caught on to though, was that all of the photographs taken in London, were on Brick Lane. Now at this time, I had no idea what or where that was was but I was definitely intrigued. So when Sunday came along, I knew Brick Lane had to be somewhere on our agenda.

Long story short, I fell in love.

What Brick Lane offered to me:
- £1 Trainspotting DVD
- £1 Albert Watsson - Cyclops (a book compiled of editorial photography)
- £2 How to be a graphic designer, without losing your soul by Adrian Shaughnessy (a book that i've come across numerous times in research)
- Alleys filled from top to bottom with bold, beautiful graffiti art
- The Tenth Annual Free Range Art & Design Show which included amazing student work: textiles, architecture, photography, design, etc.
- More markets with more things I shouldn't be buying (I was very proud of my self control that day as I said no to temptations)
- An unofficial fashion show from "trendsetting" locals
- A free live music performance by a hiphop group, playing original music as well as covers of some of my favorites

Brick Lane was a community driven by artists and young people alike, the vibe and energy I received from those few blocks in just a few hours was absolutely amazing and inspiring. I felt at home, I felt at ease, I could have spent hours doing nothing there and still be stoked. I thought to myself "this is where I belong."

I apologize for my lack of images. I shot with film that day and have yet to develop my rolls of film. As soon as I do so though, I will scan those in and post them.

In the mean-time, this is an image of Aaron and I taken by Kristine. And Aaron said it best "I wish every Sunday was like that one."


-Kim Galanto, Woodbury University, Graphic Design.


No comments:

Post a Comment