23.7.10

Getting Here by Leila Amer

After months and months of waiting, the time to travel to London finally arrived. Jenn and I arrived at LAX and breezed through baggage check-in and security and consequently arrived at our gate roughly three hours before our plane took off. After a game of Phase 10 and bumping into first Kim then Laura (who were, to our surprise, both on our flight) we were ready to go. Our flight was very smooth and only took about 9 ½ hours to arrive in Heathrow. Once we went through the huge customs line it was time to make our way to the University. Apparently Jenn and I paid 18 lbs for a train that we didn’t actually have to take. However, it took us to the Underground station in only 15 minutes instead of the 45 min to hour alternative. Once in the Underground we purchased our Oyster card and made our way to the trains. It would not have been as bad if both Jenn and I weren’t each carrying a fifty-pound suitcases topped with a forty-pound carry-on. The first station was manageable because it was flat. The second station, however, had two flights of stairs. Jenn was a trooper and picked up both her suitcase and her carry-on simultaneously while I stood at the bottom of the stairs looking pretty shocked. Thankfully, some nice man helped me carry my suitcase up both flights of stairs and we were off to the second train.


When we finally emerged from the Underground station we took a quick breather and tried to find our way to the dorms. It was somewhat of a pain looking for our destination while still carrying our luggage, however, we eventually found Ramsay Hall and were able to drop off our things. We found a local café just down the street where we were able to eat and relax.


It was definitely an experience finding our way around in a completely new country, although I was definitely glad I had my travel buddy there to help me out.

Leila Amer
Woodbury University
Graphic Design

No comments:

Post a Comment