23.7.10

Saatchi gallery & harrods by Elizabeth Sweeney


After finishing a lunch in Chelsea, London we walked over to the Saatchi gallery (gallery for contemporary art) nearby in the area. Upon arriving there was a statue of balloons hanging from the roof with two legs descending from it. This was the first piece we saw before entering the gallery to know what we were going to get to see. After arriving the first few galleries were interesting, however very commercial. I was the least impressed and wasn’t sure how I was going to respond to the other three floors. On the second floor I discovered some photographic pieces and was completely intrigued.

I then continued to the next showrooms and floors where I was captivated by the life-like statues of a mystical realm. I was also fascinated with the giant animals that after studying you realize were made out of recycled tire parts.



I was so intrigued with the exhibits that I ended up meeting up with the group 20mins past our meet-time. After apologizing to the group we set off to our next destination, Harrods. After a light-rain and brief walk we arrived. The stores exterior was lavish and the interior was just as classic. Filled with over a million dollars worth of merchandise some of us were not sure where to start. We quickly learned no photography was allowed so we were left to document with our minds. After spending about 30 minutes walking through the store we decided we needed a break. We sat outside and observed the “Londoners” and tourist travel into the store with excitement and exit with little green bags of joy. Overall this trip was filled with exceeding my expectations and memory card.




Elizabeth Sweeney
Woodbury University
Graphic Design

No comments:

Post a Comment