23.7.10

Design Museum to the Tate Modern by Kim Galanto


Yep, I really enjoyed the Tate.

The Exposed exhibition was my favorite gallery to visit. It was about voyeurism, surveillance, and the camera. It was an appropriate subject seeing that 1) we are photographers and 2) we were in one of the most surveillanced cities in the world. After visiting the exhibition, we all noticed the hundreds of cameras around the city.

There were quite a few images that I've seen in research or in class prior to the exhibit but it's a complete different experience seeing the actual prints. Being able to experience the size I think allows you to see it the way the artist intended it to be seen. Not to mention the quality; digital files do no justice.


Many of the images were sometimes off-putting but all of them felt so real. When I looked at the images of prostitutes in the middle of sexual intercourse, business men doing illicit drugs, or people jumping off a building to there death, I felt as if I were there, experiencing the moment along side the bystanders. These images forced me to be a voyeur to these "unmoral" situations, and it made me uncomfortable. It was great.




No comments:

Post a Comment