23.7.10

My visual/cultural experience by Jenn Nassef

It was about a year ago when the anticipation of the London trip began to build. I had never left the country before, and when I heard about this trip I knew I was that much closer to the beginning of my travel journeys I have always dreamed of. Experiencing a new country and interacting with their customs in a visual and cultural manner allowed us to perceive the city of London in a new perspective beyond the typical tourist's eye.
We were able to see many of the iconic landmarks and distinct aspects of London on our endless walks through the streets of London where locals rushed by and tourists roamed. The underground took us quickly to the many locations that we stopped to admire historic churches, vast castles, the infamous London eye, the towering Big Ben, and many other beautiful landmarks throughout the city and along the Thames river.The very first thing that I immediately associated London with was the rustic bricks that built a majority of the city. The unique colors and textures within these bricks were a form of art in themselves that held many stories of the past and revealed a sense of time. Unlike the urban sensation we live amongst on a daily basis, the city of London captured a sense of the past.
Being exposed to the variety of artwork within the galleries and museums we visited was an amazing opportunity and particularly inspirational. Simply walking through the streets of London was a gallery of local art in itself.The people of London and it's visitors also made this trip an amazing experience. There were so many friendly locals that shared London tips and tricks to making the most out of the city and what it has to offer. It didn't take long before I caught on to the London lingo. Cheers to the girl that fulfilled my coffee shop cravings; never had a better ice chai latte with "soya" milk.
I am more than grateful to have had the opportunity to travel to London and spend two weeks experiencing a new culture with friends from home, as well as the friends made throughout our time spent in the city. I feel as though I was able to grow as an individual by encountering an unfamiliar atmosphere and acquiring new skills. Traveling is a passion of mine, and this trip was a great way to begin the dreams I have always possessed.

Jenn Nassef

No comments:

Post a Comment